We hope you’re amped for Jane Foster – The Mighty Thor – to Join Marvel’s Avengers tomorrow!
Our official Marvel's Avengers WAR TABLE Deep Dive - The Mighty Thor just went live, full of all the info you’ll need to know to hit the ground running (or flying) with update 2.5. Watch the WAR TABLE Deep Dive below and read on for a recap plus more details on Jane Foster’s kit.
COMIC BOOK ORIGINS
Who is Jane Foster? Jane is a doctor of many gifts driven by compassion for others. The story of Jane’s transformation into the Goddess of Thunder originates from the iconic comics written by Jason Aaron. She first appeared as the Goddess of Thunder in issue #1 of 2014’s Mighty Thor. After Thor Odinson becomes unworthy to wield Mjolnir, it sits dormant on the moon. Many try to pick up the legendary hammer, but none are deemed worthy. That is until Jane, who is battling cancer, hears Mjolnir calling out to her. Upon wielding the awesome weapon, she transforms into the Mighty Thor, and her illness is held at bay.
Jane’s adventures continued in 2015’s Mighty Thor Series and 2019’s War of the Realms, culminating in the epic conclusion of her arc when she transcends mortality and is reborn as Valkyrie.
MARVEL’S AVENGERS LORE
In Marvel’s Avengers, Jane – the Mighty Thor – is torn from an alternate timeline through a rift in space-time caused by Tachyon Anomalies. In her original timeline, Jane became the Goddess of Thunder when she took up the mantle from Thor, who in his grief gave up Mjolnir after the A-Day tragedy and Jane's cancer diagnosis.
Jane Foster is voiced by the talented Zehra Fazal, known for her voice work across video games (Apex Legends, Borderlands 3, Destiny 2) and television (She-Ra and the Princess of Power, Big Hero 6: The Series, Lost in Space). In addition to collectable intel documents and character banter, the Mighty Thor’s story is told through our brand-new animatic Marvel's Avengers - The Mighty Thor: Out of Time illustrated by veteran Marvel artist Takeshi Miyazawa. Check it out below.
GAMEPLAY & UNIQUE SKILLS
As you’d expect, Jane’s Mighty Thor possesses all the strength and power of a God of Thunder. Long years of watching Thor Odinson have allowed the good doctor to use Mjolnir with ease. However, Jane doesn’t wield Mjolnir like a son of Asgard, but with human touches all her own, deploying the mighty hammer in ways the Odinson never did.
Jane’s unique talents with Mjolnir begin with All-Mother’s Blessing, her new intrinsic ability, and God Tempest, her new Overcharge, inspired by the elder god sealed within Mjolnir. All-Mother’s Blessing builds its overcharge meter with melee attacks. Once full, she unleashes her God Tempest, which increases ranged hammer damage and creates shockwaves with each hit.
All Mother’s Blessing and God Tempest can be modified with Mastery skills to boost damage, increase the strength of shockwaves, and improve Intrinsic generation and duration.
In her comic runs, Jane frequently shows more finesse with Mjolnir than the Odinson, and that shines through in several new features in her combat kit. This includes Quick Fire, a new ranged attack combo that allows the Mighty Thor to make a second more powerful ranged attack by timing her next throw as she catches Mjolnir on its return.
Jane’s abilities, such as her Ranged Power Attack, also draw their inspiration from the epic combat in the comics. A notable example of this is the Seek and Pin upgrade to her Ranged Attack, which empowers Mjolnir to seek out and pin enemies without needing to aim.
Her expert control even extends to melee strikes with Earth’s Finest, which adds a hammer toss to her light attack combo for extra reach. Jane also puts her own spin on classic Odinson moves like Headstrong. She relies on her Thunderkick – a brutal front kick – to send enemies flying.
The Mighty Thor’s kit culminates in The All-Weapon, her brand-new Ultimate Heroic. Drawn from the pages of her Thor and Valkyrie runs, Jane sends Mjolnir to seek and destroy nearby enemy targets. Meanwhile, she calls forth the All-Weapon Undrjarn to protect her, reducing all damage taken while smiting her foes.
The All-Weapon has a full set of specializations and allows you to customize Mjolnir’s strikes, making them faster and channeling a powerful shock status against nearby enemies. Jane can even use Mjolnir as a personal orbiting defense shield.
The arrival of the Mighty Thor adds a third flying warrior to the Marvel’s Avengers roster for new team compositions and fresh co-op play. This allows for original approaches to community events, end-game Omega Level Threats, and Raid challenges.
Due to their similar origins, Jane will share many Gear Perks with Thor; when looking at gear stats, these perks will feature Thor’s icon (Mjolnir). Gear Perks that are unique to Jane with have her icon and feature hero-specific specialization. For example:
- Classic Set Gear Perks will focus on perk synergy and highlight range-focused abilities while improving the capability of each heroic attack.
- Critical Recall: When returning to your hand, any target hit with your hammer will be a critical hit.
- Lethal Ranged Hammer Restoration: Defeating an enemy with a ranged hammer attack drops a Regen pack.
- Technical Set Gear Perks will focus more on her overcharged mechanic and how it differs from Thor.
- Unarmed Overdrive: Unarmed attacks generate 15% more Overcharge energy per attack.
- Lethal Rampant Extension: Defeating enemies while God Tempest is active will extend the duration of the ability by 2.5 seconds.
- Apex Set Gear Perks will tie into Jane's Heroic Ultimate ability.
- Ultimate Cryo Hazzard: Activating an Ultimate Heroic on the ground creates a Cryo Hazard.
And of course, we added a couple of hero specific perks to the Discordant gear set!
We also took this opportunity to also make a few perks that debut with Jane but will be attainable for Thor in the future.
In addition to her awesome god-like combat abilities, Jane has a variety of Outfits drawing inspiration from the comics. She also boasts unique Takedowns, Emotes, Nameplates, and has her own Hero Challenge Card and mission chain. These allow you to earn special rewards, including exclusive cosmetics and intel documents that delve deeper into Jane's story.
Following the addition of The Mighty Thor in patch 2.5, we’ll be adding to the game’s story with two new challenges as part of an ambition to advance our narrative through hero and villain-centric content. The first is a villain-focused Warzone that will reveal M.O.D.O.K.’s fate after the defeat of his Kree Sentinel.
The Warzone will lead our heroes to AIM’s Cloning Lab, a new Omega Level Threat where your high-level strike team will challenge and defeat a revitalized M.O.D.O.K in a new multiplayer villain fight. Cloning Labs will be new end-game content that rewards conquering heroes with high power level gear from brand-new exotic gear sets. You can read more in our recent June Development Update.
RETURNING TO MARVEL’S AVENGERS?
Jane’s Mighty Thor is an unstoppable force of nature that new players and seasoned vets alike will want to experience. If you’re a returning player, we recently made several major quality-of-life changes. These updates make it simpler for new players to progress to late-game content, even with a new Hero like Jane. The updates also make it simpler and more rewarding for veteran players to revisit weekly events to gear up their entire roster. You can learn more via the blogs below:
- Marvel’s Avengers V2.3 Patch Notes: Patch 2.3 was all about the WAR TABLE and making the onboarding process simpler for new players by changing the Power Level (PL) of specific content and creating a new mission chain to guide players more easily through the Avengers Initiative’s content.
- A Look at Marvel’s Avengers Patch 2.4 Rewards Rework: Patch 2.4 refreshed our recurring events, focusing on updating the rewards, creating more consistent mission objectives, and giving players a wider variety of objectives to complete during the events.
If you’re new entirely, welcome! We've added a ton of great content since launch, the majority at no additional cost to players:
- Post-Launch Content at No Additional Cost
- Kate Bishop & Operation: Taking AIM
- Clint Barton & Operation: Future Imperfect
- Black Panther & The War for Wakanda Expansion
- Spider-Man & the With Great Power Hero Event (PlayStation Exclusive)
- New Villain Sectors & Limited-time events, including the Tachyon Anomaly event, the Red Room takeover, and the Cosmic Cube event
- End-Game content including the Klaw Raid, Omega-Level Threat: Family Reunion and multiplayer Mega Hives
- New Ways to Play
- Campaign and Operation Replay
- Custom HARM Room that allows players to customize their challenge
- Permanent feature that allows players to form teams online with more than one of the same Super Hero for any multiplayer mission
New & Improved Systems
- Shipments System that allows players to exchange earned Units for cosmetics and resources, including a new high-value cosmetic reward that players can work towards
- New Champion System that makes max-level play more meaningful
- Re-worked WAR TABLE for improved clarity around what missions players should run at various Hero and Power levels, as well as more detail about mission-specific rewards. This allows players to more strategically take on missions to meet their current goals and seek out specific gear and resources.
- Quality of Life Improvements
- Ability to dismantle and lock gear
- Access to the inventory locker from the main UI, and an overall revamp of the menus
- Ability to accept daily and weekly missions from any outpost
- Ping system so Companions can open locked doors
- Significant improvements to matchmaking
- New Platforms
- PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S upgrades at no additional cost
- Xbox Game Pass Play Anywhere access, including a Windows PC version of Marvel's Avengers
- Outfits inspired by the MCU & Iconic Comics
- We’ve added dozens of outfits inspired by the MCU to our marketplace and seen a great response. We plan on having more in the future.
- Additionally, we’ve done a deep dive into comic lore to surface fan-favorite outfits like Cap Wolf, Iron Man’s Nothing to Fear Outfit, Thor’s Asgardian Destroyer Outfit, and more.
This update adds to a game already packed with content, including a sprawling single-player story campaign, ten playable heroes (+ Spider-Man on PlayStation), and endless multiplayer action for up to four players. There has never been a better time to be a Marvel’s Avengers player!
- For those of you subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, be sure grab your membership Perks, including the Ms. Marvel Future Suit outfit, a 3-day hero's catalyst, a 3-day fragment extractor, and 500 Units!
- For those of you subscribed to PlayStation Plus, be sure to unlock your membership rewards including the Ms. Marvel Future Suit outfit, a 3-day hero's catalyst, a 3-day fragment extractor, and 500 Units--coming soon!